Make the Quinoa first:
1 cup of Quinoa
2 cups of water
Bring to boil, then cover and cook for 15 mins. Let it cool for about 5 mins before putting on salad
While the Quinoa is cooking–mix up the dressing–read below
Ingredients for dressing:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar, optional* (I just used a pinch for a little sweetening–organic brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
Spinach and kale lettuce
red, green, orange peppers cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado and broccoli
Put Quinoa on top, then dressing and enjoy!
Lovely recipe that I will be making before my hockey game. Provided by Oh She Glows–http://ohsheglows.com–June 13, 2011
- 1 medium sized ripe Avocado, pitted
- 1/2 lemon, juiced + lemon zest to garnish
- 2-3 garlic cloves, to taste (I used 3 and it was quite garlicky, but if you are not a big fan of garlic use 1 clove)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- ~1/4 cup Fresh Basil, (probably optional)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 servings/6 oz of your choice of pasta (I used 3oz of spelt and 3 oz of Kamut spaghetti)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Easy Mediterranean Orzo Salad
- 1 cup whole wheat orzo pasta
- 4 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 9-10 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup cannellini beans or other white bean
- 3/4 t dried oregano
- balsamic dressing (recipe below)
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add orzo and cook according to the package directions until just tender, about 8-10 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold water until the pasta cools to room temp. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, beans and oregano to the orzo and toss to combine.
- Add half of the balsamic dressing and toss again. Taste it and add more dressing if needed.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Serve at room temperature, sprinkled with feta.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 T maple syrup
- 1 t dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 3 T olive oil
- Use a blender, hand blender or whisk to combine all ingredients. Serve.
As Promised–the Deliciously Healthy Roasted Asparagus & Cherry Tomatoes Recipe–April 24, 2011
1 bunch of Asparagus (washed and trimmed)
12 cherry tomatoes cut in halves
1 garlic bud
1/4 cup of feta cheese crumbled
Sprinkle some Herbamere and Olive Oil on top
Preheat oven to 400–On baking sheet sprinkle oil–Line up asparagus on sheet–Spread tomatoes on tip–Spread finely chopped garlic–drizzle tiny bit of olive oil–Sprinkle w/ Herbamere–Put in middle rack in oven for 8-10mins–Add feta–Oven bake for 3 more mins or until cheese is softened.
Enjoy–Delicious And Nutritious.
Comment your thoughts and let me know if you enjoy!
Asian Style Tofu w/ Cashews–April 16, 2011
Takes 20mins to prepare and just delicious
- almond or peanut oil to stir fry, a few Tbs
- 1 large red frying pepper, coarse diced
- 1 large green frying pepper, coarse diced
- 1 med red onion thinly sliced
- 2 small carrots sliced
- 10 oz sliced white mushrooms
- 2 large garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 block of firm style plain tofu
- 1/3 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- splashes of light colored soy sauce
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews
- chopped coriander
- steamed brown rice
How to make it
- Drain tofu well and slice on the vertically into finger size thickness.
- Place tofu in bowl and cover with the chili sauce.
- In heavy duty pan or wok over medium high heat, heat oil and cook all the vegetables except the garlic until fork tender and then add the garlic and cook and stir a minute or so.
- Add the tofu with the chili sauce and cook and stir to heat well.
- Add splashes of the soy sauce.
- Lastly add the cashews and cook and stir a few more minutes.
- Serve with steamed white or brown rice and garnish with chopped coriander if desired.
Naughty, but oh so delicious Sweet Potatoes (down south we call them candied yams) April 15, 2011
This should be a treat, not every night
- 4 cups chopped sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Place sweet potatoes in an 8×8 inch square baking dish. Dot with butter.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender and mixture is bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle marshmallows and cinnamon evenly over potatoes. Return to oven until marshmallows are melted and browned, 5 to 10 minutes more.
MAKE YOUR OWN ALMOND MILK–APRIL 13, 2011
1 cup of almonds (let soak in water for 6 hrs)
Put in Blender w/ 2 cups of water for 25 seconds
Then add 3 more cups of water
For extra flavor add 1 tsp of vanilla extra and 2 tsp of agave extract or honey
Blend again for 25 seconds
Put in fridge–good for 4 days
Yummy Recipe for April 12, 2011
CRUNCHY QUINOA SALAD:
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup finely chopped red pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
3 green onions chopped
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup finely chopped parsley
1/3 cup oil (flax, olive or grapeseed)
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup dried cranberries
Place the salad ingredients in a large bowl and stir. Mix Salad dressing ingredients together, shake well and pour over salad. Let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours. Take out and enjoy!